Exciting news (below) about my HIDE AND SEEK dog viewpoint thriller and the results of the Name That Dog and Name That Cat contest. But first…
I was honored to win a Muse Medallion award for my cat behavior book in the most recent CWA Contest, but my feline furry muse was less than enthused about the award. Instead, she snubbed the book to investigate the PAW-some bounty provided in our World’s Best Cat Litter bag–and yes, everyone who attended received one of these over-flowing goody bags we put together at the bag-stuffing party (see video here). We also had the chance to win one-of-a-kind door prizes that included art and cat furniture and more.
THANK YOU to all the sponsors who provided a wide assortment cat-centric and dog-matic products. I have to share the bounty with all my pet-loving readers, since it’s nearly time to start stuffing those cat and dog holiday stockings (check ’em out!):
- Fun-tastic cat and dog toys and products from Hauspanther, Kong Company, Nylabone, PetStages, Pioneer Pet Products & Sticky Paws
- Coastal Pet Products cat collars, pencil cases from ASPCA
- Catpod sleepers and Wall Waves cat furniture, DJ Cat Scratcher
- Evercare lint rollers, Febreze carpet deoderizer
- Artwork from Wall Words Wall Cats, Carruth Studio and Cori’s Pawtraits
- VetraCare first aid products
- CFA magazines and calendars and Dogwise book discounts and Through A Cat’s Ear Calming Music
- And Seren-Kitty’s favorites of all: FOOD & TREETZ (which the Magical-Dawg insists on swiping–he steals cat toys, too): Bravo, Pawbreakers, Emerald Pet, Kitty Kottage, N-Bone, Pet-N-Shape, PetCo, PetSafe, Stella And Chewys, The Honest Kitchen, Vital Essentials, and Ziwi Peak
Cat Writers Association has been fortunate to be supported by dozens of pet-savvy products companies over the years, not only with “furry swag” but also funds to throw our annual conference and awards celebrations–and just doing good works for the cats (and dogs) that rule our hearts. We don’t recognize them often enough for all their wonderful support. As a pet writer, I couldn’t do what I do without the people behind these great companies. So here’s a Paws For Applause for these sponsors of the conference and awards program (some already named above):
American Association of Feline Practitioners, ASPCA, AdoptAShelter, Cat Fancers Association, Cat Fancy 1-5 Publishing, Ceva Animal Health, Cornell Feline Health Center, Dog Writer’s Association of America, Jacat Cattery, PioneerPet/Sticky Paws, Hartz Mountain Corporation, Morris Animal Foundation, Petco Foundation, Pet Sitters International, Precious Cat, Inc., PetSafe, Purina PetCare Company, Sergeant’s Pet Products, Quaker Pet Group, Sturdi Products, The International Cat Association (TICA), and World’s Best Cat Litter
In particular, my actor cronies and I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to present STRAYS, THE MUSICAL at this 20th anniversary event, so I’m purr-sonally grateful for the Friday night ASPCA reception and Cat Fancy Dinner Sponsorship. (A short video sample of the performance has been posted here.)
Now then–after seeing all that, doesn’t it make you want to join the furry fun? NEXT YEAR in Atlanta where we partner with BarkWorld with MeowWorld Presented by the Cat Writers’ Association!
WINNERS OF “NAME THAT PET” CONTEST!
The NAME THAT DOG and NAME THAT CAT contests garnered an outpouring of furry interest. Thanks for your votes for the pet characters to appear in HIDE AND SEEK dog-viewpoint thriller coming soon (sequel to LOST AND FOUND). The winner’s names and why they chose their selection will also be included in the book, and winners will receive an advance E-copy of the book and a paw-tographed book as soon as I get the physical copies.
The cat names received more than 926 votes in total, while the dog names totaled 3203 votes! Just who ARE these kitty and doggy characters?
- HOPE is a mother barn cat befriended by a young girl whose cat-allergic mother won’t let her have a cat. When the cat’s “real” owner disappears, the little girl’s desperate need to rescue this “momma kitty” puts them in the bad guy’s path–will it be a happy ending for the pair? The name HOPE received 300 votes and was suggested by PATRICIA (she also suggested one of the winning cat names!).
- PINKERTON is a sick cat that Shadow (the hero dog) tracks and saves after the kitty escapes from a car accident. The cat’s illness holds the key to the mystery plaguing area animals–and their people. What a legacy! BELL won the NAME THAT CAT prize with 123 votes and was suggested by MARCI DeLISLE. She wrote, “Pinkerton was one of my favorite feral kitties. I was never able to tame him but he got to where he’d approach me when I’d be outside feeding. He was a big long hair tabby probably with some Maine Coon in him as he was very large with really big feet. Two things played into his name. One was his very bright pink nose on a white nose. And he was the resident security guard for the feral kitties. Thus Pinkerton. (think Pinkerton Security) I’d watch him walking around the property (5 acre small farm) making sure no interlopers came into the feral colony. He was so funny. And had a slight permanent frown on his face. He took his job very seriously.”
- TRIXIE is therapy dog that lives at an Alzheimer’s unit. The dog belongs to the administrator but prefers to spend all her time with one of the patients, Molly Williams (Teddy’s wife, for those who read LOST AND FOUND). The dog stays by Molly’s side when she “wanders” and disappears from the facility. The name TRIXIE received 805 votes and was suggested by KRISTI BRASHIER. She wrote: Trixie – a very dark red golden retriever diva dog. Her goal in life is to have everyone pet her and tell her she’s pretty. She’s also known as the neighborhood thief because she goes around retrieving things from the neighbors which we then have to throw back into their yards the next morning. (Perfect for a therapy dog who could tote things from one room to another in the Alzheimer’s unit if you need moments of comic relief)
- ROCKY is a dog that Teddy Williams and his wife Molly had years ago, and is the reason why the therapy dog strikes such a chord with Molly. The name ROCKY received 623 votes and was suggested by PATRICIA.
Thanks to EVERYONE for making this a fun contest–and it was a stiff race right up to the end. We’ll do it again with the third book, okay? 🙂 Congratulations to the winners. I’ll be in touch shortly with any follow up that’s needed. I hope once the book is released you’ll share your starring role in helping name these furry characters!
Monday Mentions is the mash-up-day of all the neato-torpedo writer links and videos, pet schtuff and bling and writer-icity crappiocca collected over the past week. Check out the fun videos including the great THRILLERFEST video at the bottom, too. For new followers to the blog, welcome! and you can expect more cat and dog specific schtuff later in the week on Wednesday and Friday.
Author Beware: Blogging Books a vanity outfit based in German that is said to be worse than PublishAmerica! Oh, and here’s an update on 2 Moon Press
Copyright & Public Fair Use a great overview helps you decide can you use that image on Facebook? Your blog? Elsewhere? Thanks to Bobbi Florio Graham for the link
Social Karma and paying it forward helps pay you today!
Using Lyrics in Books Hey, that’s why I write my own *vbg*
Gene Lempp’s Weekly Writing Resources he does this every Saturday…BOOK MARK for great writerly schtuff!
Riverfront Cats Blog has something for cat lovers everywhere–highly recommended! And check out the Paw-some post from Christine Michaels on her purr-sonal blog, too (hint: pix from CWA conference and STRAYS).
Check out Brian Lowney’s book (above), from a pet journalist come stories you won’t want to miss!
Adopt-A-Pet.com Features Justin Bieber Pet Look-Alikes
Thanks to Romeo The Cat for pointing out this next video, LOL!
2012 Thrillerfest Debut Author Breakfast
I love hearing from you, so please share comments and questions. Do you have an ASK AMY question you’d like answered–post in the comments. Do you have a new kitten and need answers? Stay up to date on all the latest just subscribe the blog, “like” me on Facebook, check out weekly PUPPY CARE must knows, and sign up for Pet Peeves newsletter. Stay up to date with the latest book give aways and appearances related to my THRILLERS WITH BITE!