Anyone who lives with pets benefits from an effective pet smell eliminator. Be careful your pet accident cleaner doesn’t cause more problems. A pet smelly carpet could draw the culprit back to the scene of the accident.
Recently a friend complained about a horrible pet smell with her dogs, and ask about an effective pet smell remover for her home. In her case, the dogs found a skunk and I referred her to this page with 3 home remedies for de-skunking pets.
Cats and dogs can detect minute chemical scents humans can’t fathom. That’s one reason dogs love underwear! Simply mopping up the mess may satisfy your nose, but the smell lures pets back to the scene of the crime to repeat the dirty deed, time after time.
How to Clean Potty Accidents
Urine soaked into carpet proves particularly difficult to remove. With fresh accidents, pick up the solids and blot up as much liquid as possible. Avoid using ammonia-based cleaning products. Since urine has ammonia in it, such products may mimic the smell and make the area even more attractive as a potty spot.
Once urine dries on carpet or walls, “pee-mail” notes are even more difficult to locate and clean. Turn off all your lights and shine a high-quality black light on suspect areas. That makes urine glow in the dark. Don’t forget to check vertical areas such as walls and bedspreads that spraying cats and leg-lifting dogs like to target.
How to Clean Pet Smells & Eliminate Pet Odors
The best products don’t just clean the area or cover up with perfumes. They neutralize the chemicals that smell bad. Urine contains sticky urea, urochrome (the yellow color), and uric acid. You can wash the first two away; however, uric acid is nearly impossible to dissolve and remove from surfaces.
Successful products not only clean away the urea and urochrome, they also neutralize the uric acid. They use enzymes or encapsulate the urine molecules to contain the odor. Here are a few examples I’ve found to be successful and/or other professionals and colleagues have recommended to me. Ask for them at pet products stores, your veterinarian, Target, Walmart and similar sources as well as online at Amazon (affiliate links included).
6 Pet Smell Removers
- MisterMax Anti Icky Poo Odor removeruses live bacteria to eliminate any organic material left behind by your pets.
- AtmosKlear Odor Eliminator developed for the automotive industry can be used straight or mixed with other cleaning preparations. Recommended for pet odors and other household odors (smoke, gym bags, basement mustiness, etc.).
- Petastic formerly known as Nature’s Miracle, has been recommended by pet professionals for years. It employs an enzyme that breaks down and neutralizers the odor.
- PetroTech Odor Eliminator is made from organic ingredients that “encapsulate” the odors. This product claims to be safe for use on “skunked” pets, too.
- Urine-Off employs an enzyme that digests the urine molecules. The website also offers quality black lights for aid in finding and cleaning problem spots.
- Zero Odor is not an enzyme, but is composed of anti-odor molecules that bind with odor molecules and change them from smelly to non-offensive.
What’s your go-to product for getting rid of the “funk” in your pet household? Do tell!
I love hearing from you, so please share comments and questions. Do you have an ASK AMY question you’d like answered? Do you have a new kitten and need answers? NOTE: Some links to books or other products may be to affiliates, from which I may earn a small percentage of sales, but I do not recommend anything unless I feel it would benefit readers. Stay up to date on all the latest just subscribe the blog, “like” me on Facebook, and sign up for Pet Peeves newsletter. Stay up to date with the latest book give aways and appearances related to my September Day pet-centric THRILLERS WITH BITE!