Happy Valentines Day! Do you have anything special planned–for the cats and dogs, that is? What do they have planned for you? 🙂 How do your pets show love?
I get a boatload of pet products at various events, conferences and through the mail from folks who ask me to try them out. I’m very grateful, even if I’m not always able to review them–it’s best NOT to send unless you ask first. At times it looks like a pet toy box exploded at our house.
Sort of embarrassing but Magic almost prefers dirty laundry to high dollar toys, Seren loves to play “hide the kitty” under silky scarves and used paper bags, and Karma thinks the 15-year-old Ping Pong ball in the bathroom is da bomb. Cheap thrills, right? Pets don’t care what you spend, as long as it’s TIME with them!
We don’t wait around each year to have a special day to gift Magical-Dawg or Seren-Kitty…and won’t with Karma-Kitten, either. The storehouse of cat toys that Seren has ignored for 17 years has become a treasure trove for Karma, and Magic thinks it’s keen to steal cat toys. So I’ll be watching out for sparkle-ball doggy poop once again, and pet-proofing to run interference for death-defying kittens. That’s one way Valentines Love is shown at our house. What about you?
For the furry-centric folks, I suspect every day is Valentines Day, and showing the love is returned by the pets. In no particular order, here are some ways that the Shojai’s show Valentine’s Love all year long to the pets, and how Magic, Seren and Karma reciprocate.
AMY’S (incomplete…) LIST
- Nutritious food for Seren’s kidney health, Magic the aging athlete and Karma’s kitten energy
- Yummy treats for after Karma’s medication, Magic’s prompt trick, and Seren’s URI (L-Lysine)
- Grooming for good health and feel-good scritches
- Vet care for routine, preventative and even ER visits (dang those pesky bug sting reactions!)
- Exercise, aka PLAYTIME with Frisbees, stuffed squeakies, catnip, feather wands, paper bags, Ping Pong balls and more
- Adopting two furry waifs-on-the-doorstep, and researching/planning/waiting-2-years for the third
- Schmooze time…the best of all!
- Barking–at strangers, strange noises, the new cat, for treats, during vet visits–all to protect his people
- Sniffing–to protect his people from dangerous coyotes, rats, bunnies, cats and dirty socks
- Peeing & poop marking–to warn away dangerous coyotes, rats, bunnies, cats and dirty socks
- Playing fetch and tug–to teach his people how to have fun by sharing joy with slimy balls and tattered stuffed toys
- Killing squeakies–to demonstrate a good-dog’s ferocious ability to protect
- Sleeping with his people
- Meowing–at Magic and her people, to continue the conversation and get the last meow-word
- Cheek rubbing–to protect her people and the house from (hiss! spit!) interlopers
- Hissing & growling–at Karma to drive the dangerous critter away from her house and people
- Lap sitting–to make her humans smell better, the way a cat should, and to guard the lap from (hiss! spit!) Karma and nosy Magic
- Head butting–to declare and mark her humans “owned” and to show trust
- Purring–to sing of cat love, devotion and declare “I am yours and no threat.”
- Teeny-soft-mews–at Magic and his new people, to get attention and admiring glances
- Scratching cat trees–to tell the world he’s home
- Playing with Magic–to declare his trust and affection
- Chasing–toys, feet, dog tails, anything, to show what joy looks like
- Following Seren–to convince her to like him back
- Snuggling with purrs & paw-neck-hugs–so his people won’t ever dump him again
- Sleeping with Magic and his people–knowing he’s safe and loved
Now, add YOUR list in the comments!
I love hearing from you, so please share comments and questions. Do you have an ASK AMY question you’d like answered–post in the comments. Do you have a new kitten and need answers? Stay up to date on all the latest just subscribe the blog, “like” me on Facebook, check out weekly FREE PUPPY CARE newsletter, and sign up for Pet Peeves newsletter. Stay up to date with the latest book give aways and appearances related to my THRILLERS WITH BITE!